- Wide pressure range (3 to 20 cm H20).
- Automatically adjusting pressure throughout the night for optimum therapy levels at all times.
- Fluid-resistant, front-facing display screen.
- Automatic altitude and leak compensation.
- Sandman therapy software available to download data from memory card.
- Large backlit buttons dim automatically.
- Single cord for CPAP and heated humidifier.
- Auto calibration of entire user circuit, including compensating for length of CPAP tubing and type of mask.
Covidien (also known as Puritan Bennett), a leading supplier of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), recently released an auto CPAP device with a fully-integrated heated humidifier, the fully data-capable Sandman Auto. The Sandman Auto CPAP machine is a convenient device designed for a broad range of CPAP users, providing CPAP therapy and heated humidification in an extremely small and compact body design.
The Sandman Auto CPAP device is quiet, discreet and user-friendly for nightly use at home. At a mere 2.65 pounds, it is also lightweight, compact and robust enough for sleep apnea patients who need to take their therapy with them when they travel. Travel-friendly features include the ability to run on AC/DC or external battery power and an altitude compensation feature that automatically adjusts pressure up to 9,000 feet of elevation.
In addition to a water chamber that is easy to clean and refill and the water-resistant housing of the machine, the Sandman Auto CPAP and integrated heated humidifier has a unique “HumidControl Plus” feature. HumidControl works to ensure a consistent temperature difference between the water in the chamber and ambient air to minimize condensation in the tubing and to keep the humidification level constant throughout the night.
In addition, the Sandman Auto uses Adaptive Pressure Stability to react automatically to an extensive set of respiratory events by accurately delivering pressure, increasing only when necessary to optimize patient comfort and clinical efficacy. In addition, direct USB-to-computer connectivity, with optional Sandman therapy software, allows the clinician or user to analyze critical historical patient data and make changes to therapy as needed.