Respironics has recently released the first mask in its extensive line that has two different designs - one for men and one for women. The Respironics GoLife Nasal Pillows CPAP Mask is available in both a GoLife for Men and a GoLife for Women design. Addressing the problem of the differences in mask fitting needs between men and women, Respironics has offered an excellent solution in their GoLife mask. A lightweight and very unobtrusive design, the GoLife incorporates the best features of a nasal pillows mask with the added benefit of having two different mask frame and headgear sizes that work well for either gender.
The Respironics GoLife design is minimal, yet very effective. Soft and flexible facial contour arms hug the cheeks comfortably to maintain a good seal throughout the night. Angled nasal pillows are easy to adjust and are available in 4 sizes to ensure optimum fit. Comfortable and durable headgear is easy to adjust and is available in 2 sizes – one for men and one for women.
Both new and experienced CPAP users alike may have some confusion as to the best way to clean and maintain their CPAP equipment. Each piece of equipment has different requirements and a different expected lifespan, or time to replacement. CPAP machines often have hard-to-find filters that can be easy to forget, and CPAP masks generally have very delicate cushions and components that require specific cleaning techniques. We’d like to offer some general tips and little-known facts about CPAP maintenance for our CPAP users.
Your CPAP Machine
- Every CPAP machine has an expected lifespan of up to five years. Some users will find their machine lasts much longer than that, and some may have machine issues that crop up before that time. Remember, if your machine stops working properly during your first year of ownership, it should still be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Each CPAP machine has a machine-specific filter (or filters) that should be changed regularly. Each filter type has a different expected lifespan, but, in general, disposable (or paper) filters should be replaced once per month, while non-disposable filters should be replaced every 3-6 months.
- Non-disposable filters are most often made of foam and can be washed out with water and set out to dry completely before use. Washing a foam filter may increase its lifespan, but filters should still be replaced by the six month mark.
- CPAP machines don’t have to be cleaned (and should never be submerged in water) but a dusting and wipe down with a slightly damp cloth can be beneficial. Be sure to check the air intake area of the machine to remove any collected dust, and ensure that your machine is placed on a level surface with no material or curtains that could interfere with the intake area.
- Other machine accessories, including data cards and power cords, may need to be replaced due to loss or equipment malfunction. CPAP parts and accessories can be found at our store.
Some humidifiers are integrated with the CPAP machine, while others stand alone. Regardless of the type you have, each humidifier has one main component that needs to be properly maintained – the humidifier chamber.
- To best maintain your humidifier, follow all of the usage instructions closely, and always use distilled water to fill your chamber (tap water can have minerals and chemicals that damage the components of the humidifier).
- Regular cleaning of the humidifier chamber is a must. Chambers should be cleaned after every use with a mixture of one part mild dish soap and one part hot water. Chambers can be left out to dry on a towel during the day. Some chambers are dishwasher-safe, but check your manual to be sure before washing it in your dishwasher.
- Humidifier water chambers should be replaced often due to their limited lifespan. Most chambers are expected to last 6 months or less. Replacement humidifier chambers can be purchased in our store.
Your CPAP Mask and Other Accessories
Like humidifiers, mask maintenance and replacement times can be specific to each design of mask, but in general, there are a few good tips to follow:
- CPAP masks cushions are made of silicone, a very delicate and non-irritating material. And while this material is great for almost all skin types, its delicate nature means it has a limited lifespan. Most CPAP masks are made to last 3-6 months before needing to be replaced, in part or as a whole.
- Regular mask cleaning can increase the life of your CPAP mask. Facial oils left on the cushion of your CPAP mask in the morning can cause a quicker breakdown of the delicate silicone mask cushion. Cleaning the cushion and components of your mask after each use can increase its effective usage time.
- Masks should only be cleaned with gentle cleansers. A mild dish soap mixed in equal parts with water can be an effective, and gentle, cleaner. There are also all-natural cleaners and cleaning wipes that are designed specifically for the delicate masks.
- Specific mask parts can fail individually, leaving the mask unusable. It is possible to replace a certain part of many masks, such as just purchasing the mask headgear, cushion, or forehead pad. Parts for almost all CPAP masks can be found using our Part Finder tool.
- CPAP tubing has maintenance needs, too. It should be replaced every 3 months and should be cleaned using the mild detergent mixture one time per week (fully submerge the tubing and then leave it hanging to dry completely during the day).
Resources for Cleaning and Maintenance -
CPAP Parts & Accessories
Replacement CPAP Machine Filters
Replacement CPAP Mask Parts
CPAP Mask and Machine Cleaners
Equipment Cleaning Wipes
CPAP Tubing Cleaner
Bringing new and much needed awareness to sleep apnea, Shaq, the larger-than-life basketball player, worked with Harvard Medical School to film his sleep study preparation and sleep apnea diagnosis. A funny and educational video, Shaq and his girlfriend discuss his initial symptoms (she speaks about hearing him stop breathing during the night - a common symptom among undiagnosed sleep apnea sufferers), and Shaq finds out from his physicians that he needs to be on CPAP for lifelong sleep apnea treatment.
In typical Shaq fashion, he handles the diagnosis with panache and a healthy dose of humor. And upon seeing his new CPAP mask, he simply asks, "Can I wear it to the club?" We love that Shaq is willing to come forward about this common disorder, hopefully removing some of the shame or stigma many CPAP users have and providing hugely needed education and awareness for those not yet diagnosed.
The portable battery pack for the Transcend Wearable CPAP Machine has recently been released by the Transcend manufacturer, Somnetics, and it is now available for purchase at CPAP Supply USA. Released in March, the Transcend Wearable CPAP Machine is the first machine designed to be worn while you sleep. The smallest CPAP currently on the market, the Transcend is an excellent choice for traveling, but it also has the features and therapy options to be worn as your "full time" CPAP.
One of the most important travel-related features of the Transcend is that it is designed to work with a small, easy to use, and long-lasting battery pack. That battery pack is available now for purchase, so for our customers who've already purchased a Transcend, consider this accessory as a must-have when camping or for power outtages. And for our customers who've been waiting for the complete Transcend accessory line before purchasing the machine - now is the time!
View the Transcend CPAP Machine online, or
View the new Transcend Battery Pack online
Beginning May 16th, 2011, CPAP Supply USA will have new, extended store hours - Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. EST, and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. EST.
We are proud to offer our customers and patients extended hours on weekdays and newly opened hours on Saturday and Sunday, because we understand that having a readily available group of CPAP experts and customer service staff is crucial to your CPAP therapy success. We are especially happy to have more convenient hours for our Mountain and Pacific time zone customers who may have found it difficult to reach us in the past.
Our customer service team will be available during our new, extended hours to answer your questions, place orders, or help with order-related issues. Please contact us at 1-866-560-CPAP(2727) with your questions!