Shaq Attacks Sleep Apnea

Posted May 23, 2011 by Kristen P. in CPAP & Sleep Apnea Info

Bringing new and much needed awareness to sleep apnea, Shaq, the larger-than-life basketball player, worked with Harvard Medical School to film his sleep study preparation and sleep apnea diagnosis. A funny and educational video, Shaq and his girlfriend discuss his initial symptoms (she speaks about hearing him stop breathing during the night - a common symptom among undiagnosed sleep apnea sufferers), and Shaq finds out from his physicians that he needs to be on CPAP for lifelong sleep apnea treatment.

In typical Shaq fashion, he handles the diagnosis with panache and a healthy dose of humor. And upon seeing his new CPAP mask, he simply asks, "Can I wear it to the club?" We love that Shaq is willing to come forward about this common disorder, hopefully removing some of the shame or stigma many CPAP users have and providing hugely needed education and awareness for those not yet diagnosed.

Comments (6) -

5/24/2011 12:42:45 PM #

I wish this film explained a bit more about the medical issues and CPAP machines.

James Colbert
5/24/2011 1:50:43 PM #

As a lifelong user of a cpap device, with over 289 sleep apneas, I wish that we could get the public as well as medicaid to understand the issues involved with sleep apnea. Many people have it and do not know. But also many people on medicaid can't get the proper equipment or maintenance to maintain a proper sleep rhythm.. I myself have not been able to get a new mask for my cpap for over 2 years and had to buy my own cpap device simply because they don't give help for patients that require one..

5/24/2011 4:04:37 PM #

I'm in the same situation.I pay coo payment,over 100$ a month to my company,and Insurance company covers 50% of the cost on the CPAP,/had to pay 600$/and nothing else is covered after for 5 years.This should be treated as a preventive procedure and covered 100%.You should be aloud  to change your mask every year!!

5/24/2011 5:26:35 PM #

Yet sadly worth the $$ to wake up feeling good. I've gone half a year without because of insurance issues. I'm broke now, but I can sleep again. I got tired of falling asleep at random moments of the day.

Harry Doherty
5/25/2011 11:32:00 PM #

I have had cpap for 3 years. I have bought masks on line at my own expense because the medical suppliers inadvertantly billed my medicare for supplies i did not get. I now see a supplier that meets my needs as well as Medicare allows. I have a high pressure, am a mouth breather, diabetic and get skin breakdown from sweating under the foam cushions. But I am alive, active and getting most conditions under control. My sleep was marked by weird dreams from hypoxia, but I do not dream now.  all in all, it is a managable condition.

Kristen P. @ CPAP Supply USA
6/2/2011 11:20:06 AM #

Hi everyone and thanks for visiting and commenting on our blog.

Sadly, the situations you all speak about are far too common in the insurance and Medicare world. Despite the massive amount of research that shows how dangerous sleep apnea is (and despite the many other health problems that it can create - problems that Medicare will have to pay to treat!), insurance companies are far behind the times when it comes to realizing the value of CPAP therapy.

These situations are exactly why our president and owner Jeff Burgess began CPAP Supply USA - too many patients were doing without a CPAP because their insurance wouldn't cover the cost and they couldn't afford the high retail price at the DME.

Good luck to all of your in your treatment! Hopefully the insurance companies will catch up to what science has already shown.

• Preview